Daily devotionals

This is what my bed looks like every morning when I wake up and get ready for my day. If my sweetie is home, I have a cup of coffee waiting for me on my nightstand, if not, pfft, I have to get my own. Some days really are harder than others. Lol

Then it's time for the daily devotionals. Because I have noticed in myself a real hunger for God's word, and the need to understand it, one devotional was not enough for me. I would finish it, do a little chapter reading and find myself wanting more, more information, more opinions, more commentary and that's how my daily devotionals grew to this.
And that's not to say it won't grow from here, but right now this is where I am. And because I am OCD about weird things, I always start with the smallest and work up to the biggest, because it has to be in order or I just can't even......one of God's little quirky gifts to my daily life.
I collect my devotionals, my Bible, my pens and pencils, my prayer journal and my coffee and I'm off to a great start to the day.
A thought on daily devotionals and a good reason to grab at least one. This is something I have tried to explain to my sweetie pie, but I guess I don't know how to say it and make sense, but here it is.
If all we do is read the bible, we only have our opinion of scripture and understanding to go on. What if we are wrong, what if what we read was something we don't fully understand so we form an opinion about it that's all wrong (I seriously think that is how some fanatical people got started) how do we grow if we don't see other opinions and explanations and discussions about a verse. They aren't always the right one, but until you learn more than just your own ideas about a verse, how do you know for sure you are right. Just a thought....... on to the devotionals I use.




Our Daily Bread
This was one of the first devotionals I started with, and still read today. They were conveniently placed in the lobby at church and I could just snatch one up on my way out of the door. I loved them so much that I ordered them for the women at the shelter.
They are free for the asking, you can get one delivered right to your door every other month.
You can get them in email form, paper to your door or through their app. I'm old school and have to have paper in my hand, but you might like something else, you can get your preferred form here:
Our Daily Bread







In Touch Magazine
Not to be confused with the celebrity news magazine, this one walks you through scripture with thought provoking commentary that can draw you deeper into God's word. (wow! that sounded like a commercial didn't it) LOL I love this one, it has been a great read for me for over two years now. As with the ODB, you can get email or paper. This is the one I recommend more often than any other.
In Touch Magazine





I love Joyce Meyer, just everything about her. She is down to earth, she screws up, she is real, she is funny and I just love her to pieces.
 I listen to her on YouTube, but that's for another post.  
I like the fact that she isn't all about religion, she is more about your relationship with a heavenly Father who loves you whether you go to church, teach a Sunday school class, feed the hungry or do none of these things. (though the Bible does state that you should) as long as you love Him and live for Him (which will also make you want to do those things) and show Him to others, He will guide you and keep you on the path you are supposed to go. 
I'll be honest, I haven't read completely through Battlefield of the Mind yet, but this daily devotional is awesome. It's all about a conversation with God. It can be found at Amazon, Walmart, Christianbooks.com any of these places. Mine I found hiding behind about five other books at Wally World. This may be the one book I use over and over every year.








The Proverbs are my absolute favorite book in the Bible besides James. Yes it repeats itself chapter after chapter but it makes some great learning points which bear repeating.
Last year when I was looking around, at the end of the year, for my new devotional for 2018, I didn't know what I wanted, I just knew I wanted something that would help me grow and learn more about Him than I knew at the time. When I cam across this on some website somewhere, I knew it was exactly what I wanted. Some people love Psalms, I love Proverbs. Plus, you know, the whole Charles Stanley thing. If you haven't read behind him yet, you really should. This will be going to the BFF at the end of this year for her to use next year, I like it that much, then it will all be new and exciting to me again the following year, because I will definitely be using this again in the future.
In Touch Ministries




This is just a couple of pictures of my prayer journal, but that is for another post altogether.
I know, there sure are a lot of crosses on there for someone who isn't really into crosses, but you try and find different things to decorate a prayer journal with besides crosses, they're everywhere. So, it is what it is.






















Comments