Pray without ceasing?

Image result for images: praying 

I sit in church and I hear people pray prayers that move a whole building full of people. You can feel God listening. It touches your heart and moves your spirit. 
Then I get home and it's like "Um....hey God? Thanks for a good church service." 
There is nothing eloquent about my prayer life. 
I talk, I don't pray long prayers that move people to want to be closer to Him. 
I have a conversation, "Lord, please watch out for that fool up there who is driving like a maniac. He won't make it where he's going without You." 
"Father? Forgive me for my sins. I know there's a lot of them, and I know I stretch that forgiveness thing pretty far. I really do appreciate it." 
But these conversations, they are an all day thing. From before I open my eyes sometimes, we are having a conversation, "God, thanks for a good nights sleep. Maybe tonight the dog won't bark all night." 
My head is a consistent, continual running conversation with God. Everything I do, I am talking to God. But when it comes to praying out loud I fall extremely short. 
I get down on my knees occasionally, I plead with Him for someone, I pray for our nation and our church and mission work. But it is hard to find something to pray out loud when you have said it all through out the day.


1 Thessalonians 5:17-18  

17 Pray without ceasing.
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Well ok, I can do that.
I know there are times that formal prayer is needed. But not every prayer has to be formal.
My prayer when I woke up this morning.
"God, thank you for another restful night, forgive me where I fell short yesterday, convict me where I need it and watch out for that wayward husband of mine while he's traveling. Through Jesus name and Your will, Amen" That's it.
Time to move on to devotionals, coffee and bible reading.

I am a steadfast believer in:

Matthew 6:7

 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.


Short and sweet, especially since:

Matthew 6:31-34

 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.


He already knows my needs, He already knows my heart, He already knows my future, the rest is up to me, to trust Him, lean on Him and talk to Him and through that talking I learn to do all of those things. As time passes and I can see that He hears me it becomes easier and easier to lean on Him, to trust Him with every issue in my life, good and bad.

I have had the same best friend for 40 years now. We know everything about each other, we talk about anything and everything, I can trust her with my true thoughts and feelings.That's what constant conversation does, it keeps us close. It helps to build trust and a deep down feeling of never, ever being alone. 
It's the same way with our Father, there isn't anything I can't take to Him, no matter how bad, embarrassing, hurtful or mean it is, I can take it to Him and he walks me through to the other side. 
I don't have to be formal. Are you formal with your earthly father every time you get together with him? If so, you need to loosen up!

I ask Him all the time to help me with my audible prayer life. And the only answer I keep getting? 
Just talk to Me, out loud or in your head, 
Pray without ceasing.....




Comments